Wednesday 16 January 2013

but I do feel obliged...

So this is something that happened to me last year, I remembered it and thought I should write it on here...and I promise you this is absolutely true.

So I work part time in a super market.
Unfortunately, whilst most customers are friendly enough, you do, inevitably, get some idiots every now and again.

So one day, I was working incredibly hard.
Ok, so I working quite hard.
Ok, I was working hard.
Ok, so I was playing catch with a rolled up carrier bag.

A man approached me, wanting to pay for some stuff...as you might expect in a shop.

Before he put his card in the little machine to pay, despite me having said only a friendly hello, the man suddenly, and very loudly, said:

"Right young man. Before I pay, I want to make it clear that I will not need telling when to put my card in, when to put my PIN in, when to take my card out, or anything else! I am an adult and I am sick of people in shops patronising me and treating me as if I don't know how to pay for my shopping!:

I was speechless...but I agreed to remain silent and the man, looking incredibly smug, put his card in the machine.

I waited. Nothing came up on the screen. I looked down at the card. I tried very very hard to keep a straight face, which I just about managed to do. I waited a good 15 seconds before clearing my throat, leaning forward and simply saying, in the most patronising voice I could:

"Excuse me sir...I know you didn't want any help and that you are perfectly capable...but I do feel obliged to tell you that you've put your card in the wrong way."

A look of horror on his face, he slowly closed his eyes, grimaced and slowly removed his card and put it the right way round. All whilst turning a truly incredible shade of red.

"Well...THAT was embarrassing" he muttered as he finished his transaction and left.

Moments like that make working in a shop worth it.

Thank you

Iain jb

No comments:

Post a Comment